Motor Vehicle Accidents

Sterling Police Department

MA Registry of Motor Vehicles Crash Operator Report Forms

What to do if you've been in a motor vehicle crash involving personal injury and/or property damage in excess of one thousand dollars:

  1. Contact your Motor Vehicle Insurance Company as soon as possible. Most Insurance Companies are able to receive and start your claim 24 hours per day.
  2. Within a few days, a police report pertaining to your crash may be obtained at This report will assist you in completing your Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report (see #3 below).
    If you are unable to obtain your report through this website, or have questions regarding the status of your police report, call or respond to the Sterling Police Department during normal business hours (8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday).
  3. By law, you must complete a Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report within five days. A copy of this report will need to be sent to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, the Police Department having jurisdiction where the accident occurred and to your Motor Vehicle Insurance Company. All of the information that you will need to fill out the Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report can be obtained from the police report.
    This form may be obtained online at or by clicking on the link located at the top of this page.  Print this form out and complete it. The front page of the Crash Report Form provides detailed instructions about how to fill the form out.
  4. In the event that your vehicle needs to be towed from the scene, the Police Officer on scene will contact the tow company. One of the three following tow companies may be called:

W. C. Cranston & Son, Inc.
205A West Boylston Street (Route 12)
West Boylston, MA 01583

Quality Towing & Recovery
727 Lancaster Street (Rt. 117)
Leominster, MA 01453

Ricky’s Towing
260 New Lancaster Road (Rt. 117)
Leominster, MA 01453

For further questions regarding you Motor Vehicle Crash, please conatact your insurance company.