Water Wells

Well Construction Application

Water Well Regulations

 The Sterling Board of Health regulates Private Wells under Chapter 111, Section 31 of Massachusetts General Law.  We have issued regulations to ensure the safety of our residents.  You can get a copy of the regulations for drinking water wells above. 

All wells in Sterling must be constructed by registered well drillers licensed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  You must obtain a construction permit from the Board of Health before constructing a well and we must approve the location, design and operation of the well.  If you are constructing a new home or business that relies on a well for potable water, the well must be constructed before you can get your building permit.

If you have any questions, please contact the Board of Health.